This site is about the Norman Tindale collection held at the State Library of Queensland identified as 7489 Tindale Genealogical Collection 1928-1960 in the catalogue. Surnames of people mentioned in this collection are searchable on the State Library One Search Catalogue or via the Norman Tindale Alphabetical Name Index 2nd Ed.
The State Library has an online summary at https://www.slq.qld.gov.au/research-collections/family-history/aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-people/tindale.
In 1928, Norman Tindale, an anthropologist and entomologist with the South Australian Museum, began visiting Aboriginal people living on missions and government stations. By the end of the 1950’s he had photographed numerous Aboriginal people, collected cultural material and recorded a significant number of family trees (genealogies).
The South Australian Museum (SAM) is the official custodian of the Norman Tindale Collection. It is advised that you view their internet site to find out more information http://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/collections/information-resources/archives/tindale-dr-norman-barnett-aa-338.
In the late 1980s the State Library of Queensland were permitted to hold the Queensland and relevant New South Wales genealogical and photographic components of this Collection.
Although anyone can search the Tindale index, because much of the information is private or sensitive there are restrictions on who can access the full family tree information and photographs.
- Copies of genealogies are provided only to individuals or families who are researching their own family history.
- Copies of genealogies are provided to Land Councils for the purpose of Native Title Claims upon the provision of a request on official letterhead with names of families researching the claim and claims number.
- No copies of the material are to be reproduced in any form or published without prior written consent from appropriate Aboriginal families, communities and the South Australian Museum.
- Any use of the information other than for private and study use is the sole responsibility of the person making the request.
- Norman Tindale SLQ site
- Wantima Tindale Summary 2019
- Tindale enquiry form
- Wantima Tindale Instructions 2019
- South Australian Museum (SAM) Tindale clan names
- SAM Tindale Map
- SAM Tindale Collections
- Getting Started Wantima
- Internet Sites 2019
You can access information at our Southbank building or complete our online form with the Tindale Permission Form http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/word_doc/0019/229600/tindale-permission-form.doc.