World timeline of Dreamers by world events [click on image for larger image].
Dreamers [Australian Aboriginal] history has been lost in the context of world history. An ancient cultures that is de-valued in it’s country of origin through misinterpretation of it’s historical existence by an abusive and controlling immigrating culture.
Topic of interest relating to this event …
- Australian Dinosaurs
- Pleistocence Epoch
- Sahul (Australia) migration
- Megafauna Terra Australis
- Tribal Land (link to Wantima Language)
- Tribal Cultural Tools [Tools, bush tucker, Dreamtime stories, artwork]
- Archaeology sites [Rock art]
- Lesson Plans (assistance needed by teachers)
Please note : This is just a draft page at the moment… I am only one person …
Dreamtime History of Australia
Between 100,000 and 70,000 years ago, Modern man began migrating from the African continent and populating parts of Europe and Asia, reached the Terra Australis between 65,000 and 35,000 years ago.
Dreamers did not sail into Terra Australis, but walked into Terra Australis before the Arafura Sea rose to form this continent known today as Australia.
Dreamers were the first worlds explorers, sailors, culture and oldest cultures to survive since the Pleistocene Epoch [timeline]. In a world scale we are unique and ancient and worthy of recognition.
Dreamers (Aboriginal Australians) are the oldest living culture in the world, our history was not written not written on paper, but spoken and embedded in the landscape. In world historical events the Australian Aboriginal “Dreamer nations” were isolated from world, even it’s name Terra Australis “unknown south land” pointed to this fact.
Dreamers are in conflict with an invading force [British Empire] that has only recently come to our land, currently known as “Australians”. A group of people that have arrived looking for land.
The British Empire demolish the environment that has take centuries to create, in order to terraform the land to their past homeland. A delicate Eco-system that is unique to the world was transformed into farmland and fences. A cancerous un-controlling growth that was abnormal and alien to the ecosystem that had existed for ten’s of thousands of years.
As life became more civilised in the new country, gardens were established around cottages and homesteads. Naturally, the settlers planed these gardens with the familiar plants of their European homelands. No thought was given to the lowly “bush” plants. Those who did cultivate native plants were regarded as eccentric. In fact, there were more Australian plants cultivated in European gardens (where they were considered choice exotics) than there were in Australia
page 28, Smith, L. (1988). Tracks and times : A History of the Pine Rivers District / Editor: Lawrence S. Smith.
The Dreamtime needs to be explained and the question of ownership needs to questioned. There are some great anthropological books on environment and some fantastic one created on frontier wars.
I think our first point of call is changing terms…
Changing of terms
To disassociate Australian Eurocentric portrayal of history I have decided to use the different Indigenous term to highlight specific events.
- Dreamtime (65,000 – 1400) instead of “Pre-contact”, which focuses the arrival of the British colonisation as the centre of Australian history.
- Dreamers to identify “Aboriginal” people of the past. Aboriginal meaning inhabiting or existing in a land from the earliest times or from before the arrival of colonists; indigenous.
- Terra Australis instead of “Australia”. Terra Australis Incognita’ or ‘Unknown South Land’ and New Holland was the name used prior to “Australia” . Another name was Van diemen’s land for the island now known as Tasmania.
Note that Wantima is Queensland focus, thus when discussing the environment during the Terra Australis time, it may make reference to Queensland Geological information.
view European Settlement